Best Practices for Post-Op Care in Joint Surgeries

One critical aspect often overlooked in post-operative care is patient mobility right after joint surgeries — i find that starting passive range of motion exercises within 24 hours significantly improves recovery times. I’d love to hear your experiences or recommendations when it comes to optimizing post-op protocols.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​​‌‍‍​‌⁠‍‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​‌​⁠​​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠‌‌‍⁠‍‌​‍​‌‌​⁠‌‍‌⁠‌‍​‍‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​⁠‍‌​⁠‍​​⁠​⁠‌​‌⁠‌​⁠⁠​⁠‌‍‌‌‍​‌‌‌​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

And i’ve found that encouraging weight-bearing activities as soon as the patient feels ready can also help with recovery. Just be mindful of any signs of discomfort; it’s all about finding that balance — what kinds of mobility aids do you recommend?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​​‌‍‍​‌⁠‍‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠​⁠​⁠‌‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠​‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌‌⁠⁠‌‌‌​‌‍‌​‌‌‍​​⁠​⁠‌​‌​​⁠​​‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​‌‌​‌​‌‍‍​‌‍​‍‌​⁠​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

I’ve seen that starting patients on deep breathing exercises post-surgery not only helps with pain management but also prevents complications like atelectasis. It can be as simple as a few minutes of focused breathing — definitely worth considering! Have you noticed any changes in recovery time with that approach, @kieranM32?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​​‌‍‍​‌⁠‍‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠​⁠​⁠‌‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​​‌‍​⁠‌⁠‍‍‌‍‍‍‌​⁠​‌‍⁠⁠‌​‍​‌​‍‍‌‍⁠​‌​​⁠​⁠‌⁠‌​⁠​‌⁠‍​‌⁠‌‍‌‍‍⁠‌‍​⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

I agree about starting passive exercises early! I’ve found that using a continuous passive motion machine the first few days can make a big difference, too. @david89T, have you tried that?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​​‌‍‍​‌⁠‍‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠​⁠​⁠‌‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​‌​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‍‍‌‌​⁠‌​‍‍‌‍​‌‌​‌⁠‌‌‌‍​⁠​⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠​​‌​‌‍‌‌‍​‌‌‍‍‌‍​‍‌‌‌‌‌‍⁠‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌